Saturday, February 2, 2013

Imbolc Blessings!

Happy Imbolc! Happy Groundhog Day!

Today marks the midpoint between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere. You can think of it as "midwinter," especially if you're in a climate where there's not really any good sign of Spring yet. But for me, this is what really marks Imbolc-time:


Daffodils starting to come up, even through the snow! Yaaaaaaaaaay, greeeeeeeeeen!

Today is also Groundhog Day, which is a PA Dutch tradition and nowadays popularized by the famous groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil! And WOOOO, he's predicting an early Spring for us this year! mental_floss has a great article about not only Groundhog Day, but Imbolc and other holidays that fall around this time of year, too. And I found this video today on the YouTube machine of an adorable witch explaining the holiday as well:

 

I find the correlation between the story of the Cailleach and that of the groundhog's shadow prediction fascinating!

So, what am I doing to celebrate? My house is always in need of cleaning, so that's getting worked on! haha. But seasonally, I will start to plan my garden for this year, looking at what I want to plant and planners to decide when to start seeds and whatnot. I'll light a bunch of candles, especially once it gets dark out. Another idea to "celebrate" is to plan your summer travels, especially if you're still snowed in! And of course, cooking and getting ready for the Super Bowl is another good idea for today. Even if you don't celebrate Imbolc or Groundhog Day, you might celebrate the Super Bowl, which might be considered a modern American holiday. ;)

So, what are you doing today to celebrate? I'll leave you with some beautiful songs of Imbolc to enjoy while you think about it...!







Peace and love,
~ Cara

No comments:

Post a Comment